Thursday, May 23, 2013

Montepulciano part 2

Wow! Kind of regretting that I didn't try harder to find a hotel here. As much as I love Cortona, Montepulciano is the richer, classier big brother. The restaurants are more expensive and you can feel a sense of superiority amongst the locals.

Such a beautiful old city. The highlight for me was visiting a wine cellar. Not just any wine cellar, I was deep beneath the streets of Montepulciano. It was creepy, cold and damp and I loved it. I felt like I was stepping back in time as I was walking down those old stone steps. The cellars below are majestic with 60 foot high vaulted ceilings, some areas of the cellar date back to Etruscan times. The wine barrels were gigantic. At least 30 feet high barrels that made me feel small and insignificant. I felt like if I closed my eyes I could imagine what life was like back then. 

I would imagine it was hard and the people back then were so much more tougher than we are.  They must have worked hard and suffered but enjoyed the small pleasures in life, would be nice if we could do that more these days (enjoying the small pleasures in life that is).....

No comments:

Post a Comment